- Access Needed to Subscribe to an Item
- Subscribing to Items
- Unsubscribing from Items
- Receiving an In-App Notification
- Receiving the Subscription Email
- Understanding Who Is Subscribing to an Item
- Considerations about Working with Subscriptions
Workfront sends notifications about items you are assigned to or that you own. If you want to follow the communication on items that are not assigned to you but might impact your work, you can subscribe to them.
Currently, you can subscribe to the following items:
NOTE You will not be notified for any other events that happen on the item you subscribe to. You will only be notified when someone posts a comment to the item.For more information about other considerations about working with subscriptions, see "Considerations about Working with Subscriptions."
If your system administrator has enabled the "View only updates in which they have been included in the conversation" option in your Access Level, you cannot subscribe to items in Workfront.
For more information about adding additional restrictions to Access Levels, see "Creating and Managing Access Levels."
If the "View only updates in which they have been included in the conversation" option is not enabled in your Access Level, you can subscribe to items you have permissions to at least View.
The process for subscribing to an item is identical for all items.
For example, to subscribe to an issue:
- Navigate to the issue you want to subscribe to.
- From the Issue Details area, click Subscribe, next to the silent bell icon.
The link changes to Subscribed and the bell icon changes into a ringing bell.
The update stream of the issue records that you have subscribed to the issue.
You can easily unsubscribe from an item in Workfront. The process for unsubscribing from an item in Workfront is identical for all items.
For example, to unsubscribe from an issue:
- Navigate to the issue you want to unsubscribe from.
- From the Issue Details area, mouse over the Subscribed link, next to the ringing bell icon.
The link changes to Unsubscribe.
- Click Unsubscribe. The link changes to Subscribe and the bell icon changes into a silent bell.
This unsubscribes you from the issue.
You can also unsubscribe from an item you are subscribed to by clicking the "Unsubscribe" link in the subscription email. For more information about how to unsubscribe from email subscriptions using the "Unsubscribe" link in the subscription email, see the "Opting Out of Email Notifications" section in "Receiving Email Notifications."
Once you are unsubscribed to an item, you no longer receive notification when someone comments on the issue.
The update stream of the item records that you have unsubscribed to the issue.
Immediately after someone posts a comment on an item to which you are subscribed, you receive an in-app notification.
For more information about Workfront in-app notifications, see "Using In-App Notifications."
For more information about the subscription email, see the "Receiving Subscription Emails" section in "Receiving Email Notifications."
For more information about setting up or disabling email, see "Enabling and Disabling Event Notifications."
NOTE Even if you turn off subscription email, you will continue to receive in-app notifications whenever someone comments on an item to which you are subscribed.
To see how many subscribers an item has in Workfront and who they are:
- Navigate to an item for which you want to see the subscribers.
- (Conditional) If there are any subscribers to the item, notice the number next to the subscription links.
Mouse over the number and a list of users who subscribe to the item expands.
You see the first 25 users that subscribe to the item which are listed in alphabetical order.
You must consider the following as you are working with subscriptions:
- Currently, as a system administrator, you cannot control what users can or cannot subscribe to. Anyone with View or higher permissions to any task, issue, or project can subscribe to them.
- Subscriptions cannot be configured for a daily digest email.
- If you subscribe to a task, issue, or project and you are also the assignee, the Primary Contact, or the Project Owner, you will receive only the subscription email when someone comments on the item you subscribe to.
For more information about email notifications that trigger when a comment is made on one of your items, see the "Notification Descriptions" section in "Configuring Email Notifications."
- If you subscribe to an item and you make a comment on it, you will not receive a subscription email about that comment, unless you include your name in the comment.
- If the user who comments on the item makes the comment private by locking the comment, and you are not part of the same company as that user, you will not receive a notification for that comment. For more information about making a comment private to your company, see the "Updating a Work Item" section in "Updating Work."
- You cannot build a report for subscriptions. An audit is recorded in the Update Stream of every item when someone subscribes or unsubscribes to the item.
Comments made on child objects do not trigger subscription notifications for parent objects. If you subscribe to a project, you will only receive notification of comments made on that project. You will not receive notification of comments made to child items associated with the project (i.e., tasks or issues), unless you subscribe to each child. For more information on object relationships, see the "Understanding the Interdependency and Hierarchy of Objects" section in "Understanding Objects."
Anna wanted the Considerations piece to be at the end, because it was distracting users from the functionality. It is out of pattern for us, but I accommodated her request.
Edit sections as more functionality is released, especially in the Considerations section and in-app notifications.
***(THIS WILL BE A BULLET, AFTER 2017.2 BETA 3): (Optional) Click +<number>more to see the complete list of subscribers.
This will replace this: https://workfront.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000097553
**Do you need to update screenshots for subscriptions???**