When are the Workfront maintenance windows?
The maintenance windows differ depending on the cluster where your Workfront instance is running. As a Workfront customer, you are assigned a cluster at the time of purchase based on your geographical region. If your organization is assigned a cluster that is outside your geographical region, you can request to be migrated to a different cluster. (Migration to a different cluster requires a short service outage during the migration.)
- North American clusters (CL01, CL02, CL03, CL05): First and third Thursdays and second and fourth Saturdays each month.
The Workfront user base spans a diverse range of industries around the globe. No specific maintenance window is ideal for all users. Having two of the windows on Thursday allows for greater flexibility in scheduling maintenance that is as minimally disruptive as possible.
- EMEA Clusters (CL04): First and third Fridays of the month.
How long are the maintenance windows?
The maintenance windows are either 2 or 4 hours - depending on your cluster. However, when a maintenance window is used, rarely is the entire time needed. In previous years, the downtime during a scheduled use of the maintenance window was usually between 30 and 60 minutes.
How often are the Thursday windows used?
Workfront is committed to minimizing disruption as much as possible. As with the Saturday windows, the Thursday windows are used as infrequently as possible. Again, whenever a window is used for maintenance, a notification will be sent at least 3 days in advance.
How far in advance will notice be given if a maintenance window is planned to be used?
At least 3 days advance notice is planned. However, if there is an emergency situation, the advance notice may be less.
Why is CL04’s maintenance window shorter and less frequent than the other clusters?
CL04 is built entirely in the Amazon AWS cloud. Without the need to maintain the underlying infrastructure and hardware, less maintenance is required. As we make similar changes to the configurations for our North American clusters, we plan on reducing both the number of windows and the window durations.
What are the Maintenance Window Changes?
The Workfront maintenance windows underwent various changes:
- The windows are no longer automatic. Advanced notice will be provided through the new trust site (http://trust.workfront.com at least three days before impactful maintenance is performed. Use of the maintenance windows has decreased significantly since 2016, averaging less than once a month. We will continue to push to reduce usage as much as possible.
- The new windows for North American clusters (CL01, CL02, CL03, CL05) are the first and third Thursdays and second and fourth Saturdays each month. Maintenance will occur on these days if it is needed. Previously, the window was every Saturday.
- The EMEA Clusters (CL04) windows will be reduced by 2 hours and cut to the first and third Fridays of the month.
Why are two of the North American windows moving from Saturday to a weekday?
The Workfront user base spans a diverse range of industries around the globe. No specific maintenance window will ever be ideal for all users. Moving two of the windows to Thursday will allow for greater flexibility in scheduling maintenance that is as minimally disruptive as possible.