When you want to aggregate several fields in Workfront and display that aggregate value in a new field, you can do so by building the following:
- A Calculated Custom Fields in a Custom Form
For more information about adding a Calculated Custom Field to a Custom Form, see the "Creating Calculated Custom Fields" section in "Using Calculated Custom Data."
- A Calculated Column in a View
For more information about using calculations in a View, see the "Using Text Mode in Views" section in "Understanding Common Uses of Text Mode."
You can use the same calculations in both Calculated Fields as well as a Calculated Column. However, depending on what your purpose for these calculations is you might want to consider building one versus the other.
- When you want to group the aggregated results in a report or you want to show this information in a chart.
- When you want to aggregate the data beyond the aggregation that is calculated in the field.
- When you are not concerned about the timeliness of the data, as data is not updated and it might change over time.
- When you want real time data to be available on a report.
Calculated Views are always fresh because the calculation is made when the report is run or the view is applied.
- When you have no plans to group by aggregated results nor use this information in a chart.
- When you do not plan to aggregate the data beyond the aggregation that is calculated in the column (data can be aggregated only once).