When using the Workfront API, you might find it helpful to reference the API Explorer, which is a catalog of supported resources, parameters, and variables.
To open the API Explorer:
- Navigate to support.workfront.com, click Workfront API, then in the General section click API Explorer.
- In the upper right of the API Explorer, select the Workfront API Version you want to work with.
By default, the current version is selected.
- Begin typing the object type name in the Filter field, then click the object type when it displays.
Scroll through the list of objects, then click the object type when it displays.
A landing page similar to the following displays.Each tab displays resources you can use when working with the Workfront API.
- Fields: Available fields within the specified object.
- References: Available reference variables for the specified object. A reference is an alias for a variable. Once initialized, a reference can be used interchangeably with the variable name. A reference uses initialized memory.
- Collections: Available collections for the object. Collections are variables that represent a one-to-many relationship between the object and the resource.
- Search: Available search resources for the object. The results of a search are based on the query parameters specified by the search resource in the API request.
- Actions: Supported actions for the object. Actions can be simple or complex procedures that execute against a resource or set of resources. A given action may also affect related resources.
- Open a tab, then click the Object ID to view applicable variables.
Depending on the object selected, you might see the following variables:
Variable Definition Field Name The name of a field used in an operation within the Workfront API. Field Type The kind of values that can be entered into a specific field in a data table. Possible field type values include string, double, int, dateTime. Enumerated Type The kind of values that can be used to identify a data type. Possible Values Acceptable values for the object. Attribute Type ObjCode Attributes that can be used to modify the object class. URL The entry path that allows your app to communicate with the Workfront API. Arguments The object's variables that can be passed between your application and Workfront. Result Type Allowable data types that can be returned from a method.