A Portfolio is a collection of projects competing for the same resources, budget, and schedule slot. The projects in a Portfolio are similar enough that they would use the same Resource Pool and be measured against the same scorecard.
Portfolios can be used to group product lines, divisions, departments, companies, or other business units.
To create a Portfolio:
- Navigate to the Projects area in the Global Navigation Bar.
- Select the Portfolios tab.
- Click New Portfolio.
- Specify a name for the Portfolio.
- Select the Portfolio Details tab.
- Ensure that Overview is selected, then click Edit Overview.
- Specify the following information:
Name: Specify a name for the Portfolio if you have not already done so.
Description: Specify a description for the Portfolio.
The description is displayed on the landing page of the Portfolio.
Portfolio Manager: Begin typing the name of the user who you want to act as the Portfolio Manager, then click the user's name when it appears in the drop-down list.
Alignment Scorecard: Select the alignment scorecard that you want to use from the drop-down list.
A scorecard is used to measure how well a project aligns with the established criteria of a P often reflecting an organization’s mission, values, and strategic goals. For more information, see "Scorecards" and "Creating a Scorecard."
Status: The Portfolio status must be Active in order to appear on the New Project (Business Case) form and to allow you to add projects to it.
- Click Save.
- (Optional) Select the Programs tab and add Programs to the Portfolio.
For more information about creating Programs, see "Creating Programs."
- (Optional) Select the Projects tab and add projects to the Portfolio.
For more information about adding projects to a Portfolio, see "Adding Projects to a Portfolio."