Approval processes provide the flexibility to create multi-step approvals for projects, tasks, and issues. Approval processes are defined by Workfront administrators to provide consistency throughout the system.
From your My Work page, you can find and approve all pending approvals and review work that you have submitted for approval. By navigating to a project, you can review approvals associated with a specific project.
- Click My Work in the Global Navigation bar.
- Click the Approvals tab, then click Work I've Submitted for Approval.
The Work I've Submitted for Approval option displays all the projects, tasks, issues, timesheets, documents, and access approvals with an active approval step where you are the individual who initiated the step.
- Click one of the available options to filter the list of items waiting your approval (by default, all items waiting your approval are displayed):
- Projects: Click Recall next to the project if you want to recall the approval.
- Tasks: Click Recall next to the task if you want to recall the approval.
NOTE When the first status of a task or a project is associated with an approval process recalling it causes the item to bypass the approval process and to be marked in the first status selected, without the approval. You can associate the first status of a project or a task with an approval process by using a template.
For more information about adding approvals to a template, see "Editing Templates."
- Issues: Click Recall next to the issue if you want to recall the approval.
You can see the Recall button only when your system administrator allows issues to be recalled.
NOTE When the first status of a new issue is associated with an approval process, and your system administrator allows you to recall it, doing so prompts a warning that notifies you that the item is also being deleted. If you accept the recall, the issue is also deleted and can then be recovered from the Recycle Bin. You can associate the first status of a new issue with an approval process as you create a request queue.
For more information about creating a request queue, see "Creating a Request Queue."
For more information about allowing issues to be recalled, see “Establishing Approval Settings.”
IMPORTANT The issue is deleted even if you do not have access to delete the issue. An update is posted in the Update Stream of the project indicating that the user deleted the item.
- Timesheets: Click Recall next to the timesheet if you want to recall the approval.
When you click Recall on any of the item that is waiting approval the item returns to the previous status, before it was placed in the approval status.
- Documents: Click Recall next to the document if you want to recall the approval.
All approvals (including approvals for proofs) that you have submitted for approval are displayed here.
Consider the following when viewing approvals for proofs:
- Proofing approvals are displayed in the My Work area only if your Workfront environment is integrated with a Workfront Proof Premium account. If you cannot use proofing as discussed here, contact your system administrator.
- Proof approvals are displayed only for active approvals (the approval process is currently Pending Approval).
- Proofing approvals are displayed only when the reviewer is a licensed workfront user. If the approver is not a user in Workfront, the approval is not displayed.
- Proofing approvals contain a green Proof banner at the bottom of the thumbnail image.
- The name of the user on whom the approval is pending is displayed next to the thumbnail image, with the following text:
"Pending approval from User A"
- Click Go to Proof to launch the proof in the proof viewer.
- Access: Click Remind to remind the approver to grant the access, or click Recall if you want to recall the request for access.
- All: Displays all work items you have submitted for approval in a combined view.
The Updates tab displays all approval statuses when they occur. Approval statuses are displayed in line with other statuses displayed on the Updates tab in the object history.
The Approvals tab displays more detailed information about the approval process, such as each phase of the approval process and whether approvers have given their approval.
When an approval is initiated on a project, task, or issue, a status is displayed on the Updates tab in the object history, indicating the approval status. A new status is displayed any time the object transitions through the approval process. This includes the following events:
- An approval process is initiated on an object (The approval process is initiated when the status is changed)
- The object is rejected
- The object is approved
If an approval is applied to a task, the approval updates are shown on the Updates tab of the task, not on the Updates tab of the project where the task resides.
You can gain visibility into where a task or issue that you are working on currently is in the approval process. You can see the following information:
- The phase of the approval process
- Which approvers have already approved it
- Which approvers have not yet approved it
To see the current state of where a task or issue is in the approval process:
- Navigate to the project, task, or issue that the approval is associated with.
- Click the Approvals tab (this tab might be located on the More tab)
The Approvals tab displays the full information about all past approval paths and steps. You can see exactly who has made the approval if the approval was set for the team or job role.
For information on creating an Approval Process, see "Creating Approval Processes."