Consider the following when working with Commit Dates:
- Only tasks and issues have a Commit Date.
- Commit Dates are not automatically set by Workfront.
When you create a task or issue, there is no Commit Date assigned to the task or issue.
- If you are assigned to a task or issue, you can set the Commit Date by doing one of the following:
- Let Workfront set the Commit Date to match the existing Planned Completion Date of the task or issue by clicking Work On It on the task or issue.
- Manually set the Commit Date yourself according to when you believe the task or issue might be completed. This is your estimation and commitment, as the assignee, to the Project Manager that you will have the task or issue completed by a particular date.
Setting the Commit Date for a task or issue triggers the following changes:
- The Commit Date populates in the Update Stream of the task or issue.
- The Due on (or Planned Completion Date) on the task or issue becomes the This will be done by date, indicating that the Commit Date has now been set for the task or issue.
NOTE Changes made to the Commit Date do not automatically change the Planned Dates, and changes made to the Planned Dates do not automatically change the Commit Date.
- The Projected Completion Date of the task or issue is set to the same date because the task now has a more accurate indication of when it is likely to be completed.
For more information about the Projected Completion Date, see "Understanding the Projected Completion Date for Projects, Tasks, and Issues."
- The Project Owner is notified whether this change will impact the project timeline. If a Project Owner does not want to accept the change, it is recommended that they comment back to the user to ask them to change the Commit Date back to the original Planned Date, or select a new date. If a Project Owner accepts the change, they can manually adjust the Planned Completion Date to match the Commit Date offered by the user assigned to the item.
The Project Owner can use the Commit Date to reset the Planned Completion Date. You do this by selecting the Set planned date to option.
NOTE If you want to see how the timeline of the project is affected by accepting to change the Planned Completion Date of the task, click Project Timeline. This opens the Gantt Chart where you can evaluate the date changes.
For information about the additional functionality that is available when updating a work item, see "Updating Work Items."