- Understanding the Cost Schedule Performance Index (CSI)
- Calculating the Cost Schedule Performance Index (CSI)
- Locating the Cost Schedule Performance Index (CSI)
The Cost Schedule Performance Index (CSI) is an automatic calculation which combines the Cost Performance Index (CPI) and Schedule Performance Index (SPI) into one general metric that balances cost and schedule. By multiplying these values together, a single metric can account for a protracted schedule at a lower budget or vice versa. Project managers may use this to determine general project or task health when cost is sacrificed to drive schedule mid project.
You can benefit from the information provided by this metric only if the following exist in yourorganization:
- Your users are logging time for the work they complete.
This calculates CSI based on Hours.
- If you want to calculate CSI based on Costs, your users or job roles must have Cost per Hour rates associated with them.
Cost Performance Index (CSI) is automatically calculated in Workfront by the following formula:
CSI = CPI x SPI
CSI has the following three possible values:
- 1 = Follows overall plan
- >1 = Under budget schedule combination
- <1 = Over budget schedule combination
The CSI is associated with both Tasks and Projects in Workfront.
Issues are not associated with CSI.
You must have access to View Financial Data in your Access Level and permissions to View the project or task in order to be able to see the CSI value of a project or task.
You can locate CSI in the following areas of Workfront:
- Project Details tab, in the Finance sub-tab.
- Task Details tab, in the Finance sub-tab.
Linked to the product. Do not change link.