- Understanding the Calculated Assignment Duration Type
- Changing The Duration Type Of A Task To Calculated Assignment
Calculated Assignment is a Duration type that can be set on a task in Workfront.
When Calculated Assignment is used, the project manager must input both a Duration and a Planned Hours value. Workfront then divides the amount of Planned Hours by the amount of hours in the Duration, then by the number of resources assigned to the task to calculate the allocation percentage for each resource. Each resource will equally have the same value for their allocation percentage.
The allocation values cannot be changed.
If Calculated Assignment is set as the default Duration type in the project preferences of your Workfront system, all new tasks will be created with this Duration type. For more information about changing your task and issue preferences as part of your system-level project preferences, see "Task and Issue Preferences."
In this case, the task has a default of a one-day duration, and a default of 0 hours of work. Unless the project manager sets a more accurate Duration and populates the Planned Hours field with a realistic estimate, then resources will appear under-utilized.
Calculated Assignment is the preferred Duration type in the following situations:
- When assignments have a window of activity, but do not take the entire Duration allotted. For example, you are assigned to deliver a report to your supervisor by the end of the week. You have a five-day duration, but it will only take you ten hours to draft the document.
- When a single resource is assigned to a task because the project manager can estimate the planned Duration and planned amount of effort independent of each other.
Calculated Work can be used for the same result, but the project manager must input a percentage allocation for the resource in order to affect the calculated value for Planned Hours. This makes project planning more difficult and time-consuming.
The following sections provide more detailed information about how Calculated Assignment is calculated:
The allocation percentage for each resource is calculated by:
Planned Hours / Duration / Number of Resources = Allocation Percentage for each resource
For example, in the scenario outlined below, each task has a Duration of 3 days. The project manager manually enters both the Duration (3 days or 24 hours) and Planned Hours, and as a result, the allocation percentage (or assignment percent) is calculated:
- In the task list, click the name of the task for which you want to change the Duration type.
- On the Task Details tab, ensure that Overview is selected, then click Edit Overview.
- In the Duration Type drop-down field, select Calculated Assignment.
- Click Save.