When a user comments on an object in Workfront, this triggers an email notification to other users. You can configure Workfront to allow the recipients of this email notification to respond to these comments by replying to these emails. Their replies to the original email notification, can be displayed as a response to the original comment in Workfront, on the same object.
To do this, you can configure a POP account to handle your incoming communication into Workfront.
By enabling this feature, your organization can capture work communication that is tied to items in Workfront but occurs outside of Workfront.
- Integrating Workfront with a POP Account
- Understanding the Automatic Disabling of the POP Account
The following prerequisites are required in order to set up a POP account in Workfront:
- Users who are replying to the emails must have the access to comment on the object (at least View access).
- The email account associated with your project must be POP enabled. No other email protocol is supported.
- A unique POP account is associated with this setup.
- The email account is not linked to a Workfront user account.
- The POP account is used for no other purpose, other than for handling communication between Workfront and Workfront users.
NOTE Some customized POP configurations have been known to not work correctly with Workfront in supporting this functionality. Contact your email system administrator to understand why a POP account might not correctly support this feature in Workfront.
You need access to a POP account that can be integrated with Workfront and set up to handle the incoming communication into Workfront. For more information about all the prerequisites necessary for this setup, see "Prerequisites."
To integrate with a POP account for incoming mail:
- Navigate to the Setup area in the Global Navigation Bar.
- Expand Email, then click Setup.
- In the Incoming Mail section, select Enable users to post comments by replying to email notifications (by linking a POP email account to Workfront).
- Specify the following information:
Email Address: The email address of the POP account you are using.
IMPORTANT Do not use your personal email address as the POP username. Instead, create a new email address dedicated for this purpose.
User Name: The user name that Workfront uses to access the POP server. This is the username of the POP account as specified by your email administrator.
Password: The password that Workfront uses to access the POP server. This is the password of the POP account as specified by your email administrator.
Incoming POP server: The URL of the incoming POP server.
For example, for gmail, this is pop.gmail.com.
Port: The port Workfront uses when connecting to the POP server.
When using an unsecure connection, use Port 110.
When using a secure connection, use port 995 (you must select Use SSL/TSL to connect when using port 995).
Use SSL/TSL to connect: Select this option to connect over a secure connection.
This server supports Plus Addressing: Select this option if the server supports Plus Addressing.
Check for new email every ... minutes: The frequency that Workfront searches for email communications from all POP accounts associated with Workfront. Workfront can search for messages as frequently as every five minutes. The default is every 30 minutes. This includes POP accounts associated with project queues. For more information about setting up a POP account for a project queue, see "Enabling Users to Email an Issue into a Request Queue Project."
NOTE Depending on the number of messages being sent to Workfront via POP, messages can take up to 20 minutes or more to be retrieved, even when you configure Workfront to check for mail more frequently.
For more information about how to manually check for new messages from the POP account, see "Using Diagnostics."
- Click Test POP Settings to ensure that the connection to the POP server is functional.
- Click Save.
This section also linked here: https://workfront.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/231802907 and here: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217236977
If there is a problem connecting to the POP account or retrieving messages from the account, the connection between Workfront and the POP account will either automatically be disabled, or the processing of the emails from the POP account will stop temporarily.
The POP account may be disabled or it will stop processing for the following reasons:
- If Workfront tries to connect to the POP account and the connection fails more than 25 consecutive times. In this case, after 25 failed attempts, the POP account setup is disabled in Workfront.
- If Workfront connects to the POP account and it finds 10 emails in the POP account that are not related to comments in Workfront. In this case, it stops processing the rest of the emails and sends a notification to the system administrator that says:
"We encountered a problem while processing emails from your POP account: <POP email address>. We either found emails that are not related to Workfront comments, or something might be wrong with your POP credentials. Please ensure that the email credentials configured under Setup > Email > Setup are valid and that the email address is used only for Workfront communication."
Workfront starts checking the account again, after 5 minutes.
NOTE We recommend that you only use this account for Workfront communication only. Any other emails could potentially disable the connection between Workfront and this account.
If you are a system administrator and you enable the email notification "An error was found that needs my attention", you receive an email notification that the POP account was disabled. For more information on enabling email notifications, see "Configuring Email Notifications."
DON'T DELETE, DRAFT OR HIDE THIS ARTICLE. IT IS LINKED TO THE PRODUCT, THROUGH THE CONTEXT SENSITIVE HELP LINKS. **
When updating POP account information here, also update information in these articles:
Understanding the Queue Details Tab in a Project (Issue Form): https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216655098
Configuring Email Notifications: https://workfront.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/217202727
Enabling Users to email an issue into a request queue project: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217236977