- Understanding Project Condition
- Reporting on Project Condition, Project Condition Update, and Last Condition Note
The project condition is a visual representation of how the project is progressing by using progress status indicators from the tasks on the project. This reportable variable can be set by users or Workfront.
If all the tasks on the critical path are on time, while the rest of the tasks which have 'total float' (i.e., can be delayed without making the project late) are late, your project condition will be on time. For more information about critical path, see "Critical Path."
We recommend that you use predecessors on your tasks so that the project condition will reflect the actual condition of the project. If a task with 'total float' is a predecessor of a task on the critical path, then anytime a 'total float' task is late, it will make the critical path task late and the project condition will change to At Risk or In Trouble because the project projected dates will be later than the planned dates.
Project owners can change the project to use a manual condition indicator instead of using the progress status by changing the Condition Type from Progress Status to Manual.
NOTE Projects that are in any of the following statuses are always marked as On Target, no matter what the dates of the tasks and their progress are:
As the project owner, you can decide whether project condition is set manually, by you, or if Workfront specifies the project condition, based on the progress of the tasks.
To specify what kind of condition you set for your project:
- Navigate to the Projects area on the Global Navigation Bar.
- Click the Projects tab.
- In a list of project, click a project name, to navigate to that project.
- Click Edit Project.
- In the Condition Type field, choose between
- Manual: The project owner sets the condition on the project manually.
- Progress Status: Workfront sets the condition based on the Progress Status of tasks on the critical path.
Whether the Condition Type is Manual or Progress Status, the options for the Project Condition are:
- On Target: When progress status of tasks on the critical path are On Time, the condition of the project will be On Target.
- At Risk: When the projected end date of the tasks on the critical path is later that the project planned completion date, then the project condition will be At Risk.
- In Trouble: When the projected completion date of tasks on the critical path is later than today's date and the planned completion date is before today's date, or when the projected completion date is later than the planned completion date and they are both in the past, then the project condition will be In Trouble.
- Click Save Changes.
In the view of a project report, you can show the following fields related to the condition of the project:
- Project Condition: For more information on project condition, see "Understanding Project Condition."
- Project Condition Update: Shows the most recent update that the project owner has provided in the update stream of the project, along with the new condition.
Comments made on condition updates are not displayed in the Condition Update column; only the main update is displayed.
- Last Condition Note: Displays the update last entered on an object by the owner of the object. This field is helpful to display the owner's most recent activity or interaction on an object.
The Last Condition Note column is empty if the note text of the last note of an object has been deleted. When a new note is entered on the object, it becomes the last note and it displays again in the column.