Predecessor tasks (or predecessors) are used to link tasks dependent on other tasks. For example, you don't want to host a party (dependent task) before you send out the invitations (predecessor task). This article reviews creating predecessors on the task list.
- "Creating a Predecessor"
- "Viewing Predecessor Details"
Creating a Predecessor
- Navigate to the project where you want to create a predecessor.
- Click the 'Tasks' tab.
- Ensure that your current view displays the 'Predecessor' column.
If the view doesn't display the 'Predecessor' column, change to a view that does, or create a new view that does.
- Select the task where you want to establish the relationship.
- Click in the 'Predecessors' column.
- Type the task number that you want to make a predecessor to this task, then press Enter.
For example, if you select Task 4, and type 3 in the 'Predecessors' column, then Task 4 is scheduled to start immediately after task 3 is finished.
For a list of predecessor relationships that you can specify in the 'Predecessors' column, see "Predecessors."
Viewing Predecessor Details
You can quickly view details about the predecessor from the task list.
- On the task list, hover over the predecessor number in the 'Predecessors' column.
The following details are displayed:
Predecessor name: The name of the predecessor that is being referenced. In the above example, the predecessor is Market Research.
Project name: The name of the project where the predecessor resides. In the above example, the project name is Target Markets.
Number of predecessors (left of dialog): The number of predecessors for the predecessor being referenced. In the above example, the predecessor being referenced has 0 predecessors.
Requested: The date when the predecessor task was requested.
Due Date: The date when the predecessor task is due.
Number of successors (right of dialog): The number of successor tasks for the predecessor being referenced. In the above example, the predecessor being referenced has 1 successor.
The predecessor created here can be viewed on the task list, Gantt chart, and the predecessor tab.