You can add tasks to any project where you have appropriate rights. For example, after creating a new project, you might want to add tasks and modify tasks to organize the project plan.
A project can contain up to 5,000 tasks. A warning message is displayed on the project when you are approaching the limit, when you have met the limit, and if you attempt to exceed the limit.
Depending on the number of tasks in your projects when this limitation was imposed, your Workfront instance might allow for more than 5,000 tasks in a single project.
If you are able to include more than 5,000 tasks in a single project, be aware of the following:
- The task limit for your Workfront environment will be set to the current number of tasks in your largest project, plus an additional 10%.
For example, if a project in your Workfront instance contains 10,000 tasks, your limit for each project throughout your Workfront instance would be 11,000 tasks.
- Smaller projects improve performance and minimize management challenges that accompany large projects.
- Navigate to the project where you want to create a task.
- (Conditional) If you are currently viewing the project in an agile view, change to a standard view so that the task list is displayed.
To change from an agile view, click the List View icon next the the Agile View drop-down menu.
- Create a new task by either clicking New Task at the top of the task list, or Add More Tasks at the bottom of the task list.
- (Conditional) If you clicked New Task specify the fields in the New Task dialog box. For more information about editing a task, see "Editing Tasks."
(Conditional) If you clicked Add More Tasks, start entering the task information using in-line editing.
This option provides the greatest convenience, especially when adding multiple tasks to the list.
- (Optional and Conditional) Use the Smart Assignments feature to get recommendations regarding who is the best resource for the task assignment, when assigning the tasks.
For more information about Smart Assignments, see "Understanding Smart Assignments."
- (Conditional) If you clicked New Task, click Save Task to save your changed.
(Conditional) If you clicked Add More Tasks, click anywhere in the browser to submit your changes.
For more information about editing the tasks, see "Editing Tasks."
- (Optional) In a task list, right click on the newly created task, then click Indent.
This makes the new task a child or subtask of the previous task.
For more information about children tasks, see "Understanding Tasks."
This links from Planning a Project, Understanding Tasks.