You can use conditional formatting to compare two different fields in a view and highlight them when certain criteria are met between the fields.
For example, if the Actual Start Date of a task is after the Planned Start Date you can highlight the Planned Start Date column using conditional formatting.
To compare the Planned Start Date and Actual Start Date of task using conditional formatting:
- Navigate to a task view or a report.
- If you are working with a report, from the Columns (View) tab, click the header of the column you want to conditionally format to select it.
For example, select the Actual Start Date column if you want to add the conditional formatting to it by comparing the Planned Start Date and the Actual Start Date fields.
- Click Advanced Options, then click Add a Rule for this Column.
- Enter the comparison criteria using existing values found in the builder and specify your conditional formatting.
For example, we want to highlight tasks where the Actual Start Date is later than ( or greater than) the Planned Start Date. Select the Greater Than modifier, and select an actual date in the date field.
- (Optional) Select Apply to entire row if you want to apply the formatting to the entire row.
- Click Add Rule, then Done.
- Select the Actual Start Date column, then click Switch to Text Mode.
- Click to edit text mode then add the following line of text:
styledef.case.0.comparison.rightmethod= <field to compare>.
In our example: styledef.case.0.comparison.rightmethod=plannedStartDate
NOTE If you are comparing a Workfront native field, use camel case syntax for the name of the field. If you are comparing a custom field, use DE:Actual Name of the Field for the name field you are comparing with the first field.
For example, if you are comparing the Actual Start Date with a custom field labeled Delivery Date, add the following statement in your text mode code:
- Ensure that the righttext line of code matches the statement in the rightmethod line of code.
- Click Save.
- Click Save + Close.
The column highlights the fields that meet your criteria.