Queue Topics work in conjunction with Routing Rules to automatically assign incoming work to a user, job role, team, or project. Queue Topics define the conditions that need to exist for the Routing Rule to be implemented.
There is no limit to the number of Queue Topics that can be assigned to a Topic Group or to a project. Queue Topics are a reportable object type.
To create a Queue Topic:
- Create a Routing Rule, a Topic Group, and a custom form, if you plan to associate them with your Queue Topic.
For more information on how to create Routing Rules, Topic Groups or custom forms, refer to the following articles:
Creating Routing Rules
Creating Topic Groups
Creating Custom Forms
- Navigate to the project you chose to enable as a Help Request Queue.
For more information on how to designate a project as a Help Request Queue, refer to the following article:
Creating a Request Queue
You can organize related Queue Topics under a Topic Group or directly under the project designated as a Help Request Queue. This will provide the requestor a series of drop-down menus when making a request.
You can nest the Queue Topics directly under the project designated as a Help Request Queue, without a Topic Group.
- Click the Queue Setup tab.
- Click the Queue Topics subtab.
- Click +New Queue Topic.
- On the New Queue Topic form, specify the following:
- Name: Name of the Queue Topic.
- (Optional) Description: Describe the Request Queue. This description displays for all requestors.
- Add to Topic Group: If there are no Topic Groups on the project, the name of the project will default as a Topic Group.
If you want to create additional Topic Groups from here, select Create New Topic Group from the drop-down menu.
- Custom Forms: Select any custom forms you want to associate with this Queue Topic.
- Default Duration: This is the default duration of the request and the Planned Completion Date of the request is calculated based on this value.
- Default Route: Specify the routing rule you want to associate with the Queue Topic.
- Request Types: Choose what kind of requests this Queue Topic stores. The visible options are set on the Queue Details tab of the project.
The Queue Topic is now available to use and is visible in the Requests area of Workfront, after a Request Queue and a Topic Group are selected.