You need to add the Workfront Add-In to your Outlook for Office 365 account before you can use Workfront within Outlook 365.
If you are unable to install the Workfront Add-In with your Office 365 account, contact your system administrator to ensure that Outlook 365 add-ins are enabled for your organization. (For information about how to enable the Outlook integration for your organization, see "Enabling the Workfront Outlook Add-In for Your System.")
The following sections describe how to set up and configure the Workfront Outlook Add-in:
- Understanding the Workfront Add-In for Outlook
- System Requirements
- Downloading and Installing the Add-In
- Logging In to Workfront within Outlook
- Logging In to Workfront within Outlook with SAML 2.0
The Workfront Outlook Add-in gives you access to the following key Workfront features, directly from Outlook:
- Update existing Workfront items
You can update an existing project, task, or issue with information from an email.
For more information, see "Updating an Existing Item from an Email with Outlook 365."
- Create Workfront requests
You can create a Workfront request based on an email within Outlook.
For more information, see "Creating a Workfront Request from an Email in Outlook 365."
- Adding an email as a task in your My Work area
For more information, see "Adding an Email as a Task in Your My Work Area with Outlook 365."
- Reply to comments
Users can reply to comments via the Workfront Outlook Add-in, as described in "Replying to a Comment in Outlook 365."
To allow users to comment on items in Workfront by replying to the email notification, you need to set up the POP account information for Workfront message routing, as described in "Allowing Users to Reply to Email Notifications."
- Add new tasks and issues to projects
You can create tasks and issues from scratch, or you can create them from existing emails (using drag-and-drop functionality).
For more information about how to add tasks and issues to projects via the Workfront Outlook Add-in, see "Adding Tasks and Issues to Projects within Outlook 365."
Outlook 365 on the Web: The Workfront Add-In is available when using Outlook 365 from a web browser either on a desktop or mobile device. This functionality is also available when using the Outlook Web App (currently in Beta).
Outlook 365 Desktop Application: The Workfront Add-In is available when using the Windows and Mac desktop versions of Outlook included with the Office 365 subscription while running on any platform supported by Office 365.
For more detailed information about supported environments, see the Microsoft Office 365 home page.
- In Outlook for Office 365: In Outlook 365, click the Settings icon in the upper-right corner of the Office 365 interface, then click Manage add-ins.
In Outlook for Windows or Mac: Click Home, then Store on the ribbon.
- Specify Workfront in the Search field, then press Enter.
- Click the toggle to enable the Workfront add-in.
The Workfront add-in is now installed and ready to use.
If your organization is using SAML 2.0 as the single sign-on (SSO) solution, follow the steps in "Logging In to Workfront within Outlook with SAML 2.0."
To log in to Workfront within Outlook when no SSO solution is being used, or when using a SSO solution besides SAML 2.0:
- In Outlook, select an email message, then click the Workfront icon in the email header.
The Workfront login dialog is displayed.
- In the Workfront login screen, specify the following information:
- Username: Specify the same user name you use when accessing Workfront on the web.
- Password: Specify the same password you use when accessing Workfront on the web.
- URL: Specify the URL where you access Workfront on the web.
If your organization is using SAML 2.0 authentication and you do not know your Workfront credentials, you can log in directly to Workfront within Outllook without entering your login credentials.
Before users can log in to the Workfront Add-In as described in this section, the system administrator must first enable Office 365 add-ins to authenticate using a SAML 2.0 solution, see "Enabling Outlook for Office 365 to Be Used with Workfront with SAML 2.0" in "Configuring Workfront with SAML 2.0."
To authenticate to the Workfront Add-In with SAML 2.0:
- In the Outlook, select an email message, then click the Workfront icon in the email header.
The Workfront login dialog is displayed.
- Click Use SAML to Log In.
- In the URL field, specify the URL where you access Workfront on the web.
- Click Continue.