Workfront sends out a number of email notifications. For more information about all Workfront notifications and how they are enabled, see "Understanding Workfront Notifications."
When you receive an email notification, the notification includes useful information and links regarding activity in Workfront.
The notification emails are sent from the email address which your system administrator selected to handle your outgoing emails. For more information on setting up the outgoing emails for Workfront, see "Configuring Outgoing Email."
- Understanding Instant and Daily Digest Notifications
- Receiving Instant Notifications
- Receiving Daily Digest Notifications
- Receiving Automatic Reminders
- Receiving Reminder Notifications
- Receiving Other Emails
- Receiving Email Notifications in Your Mobile Email App
- Opting Out of Email Notifications
Workfront comes with a set of predefined event notifications that can be enabled by the system administrator. These event notifications trigger email communication every time the condition defined by the event is met. For more information about enabling event notifications at the system level, see "Enabling and Disabling Event Notifications."
All users are eligible to receive email notifications from Workfront. However, the rules of an individual object restrict whether a user is eligible to receive a notification, based on their access level and their notification settings. To view restrictions for email notifications, see the "Notification Descriptions" section in "Configuring Email Notifications."
After the event notifications are enabled by your system administrator, you can select which ones you would like to receive by editing your Notifications preferences in your user profile. You can also choose whether you want to receive notifications as events happen, or if you want to receive events summarized in one daily digest email.
For more information about configuring email notifications based on events in Workfront, see "Configuring Email Notifications."
NOTE The event notifications are the only notifications that can be configured to be delivered in daily digest updates. What are the other kinds of notifications?
The following categories of the notification settings have been enabled or "are enabled by default"? for daily digest emails:
- Action Needed
- Requests I Have Made
- Approval Information
- Information about Work Assigned to Me
- Information about Projects I'm On
- Information about Projects I Own
- Information about Projects I Sponsor
NOTE If you want to receive email notifications from the Sandbox environment, you must enable emails from your user profile in that environment.
For a complete list of email notifications, see "Notification Descriptions."
Depending on the how your email is configured, you might receive an instant notification when a predefined event is triggered. To learn more about email notifications, see "Configure Email Notifications."
The following example is an instant notification you receive when you are delegated a project approval:
The following is an example of an instant Communication notification received for a comment made to the Update Status box of a task.
For instructions on commenting on Communication emails, see "Making Comments."
To learn more about Communication emails, see "Configuring Email Notifications."
For a complete list of what email notifications have been enabled for a daily digest email delivery, see "Understanding Instant and Daily Digest Notifications."
For more information about all the categories for email notifications, see "Notification Descriptions."
There are several things to be aware of when receiving daily digest notifications:
- Each notifications section in your My Settings panel generates its own daily digest email. You can have as many daily digest emails every day as notification settings that are enabled for daily digest emails.
For example, if you selected to receive a daily digest email for several actions under the Information about Projects I Own, you receive one email notification listing all the events met for this area.
- Notifications in a daily digest email are grouped by various criteria. For example, in the case of Information about Projects I Own, the events are grouped by the project name.
For the Communication category, the notifications are grouped by the object where the communication happened.
- The daily digest email lists events that happened for the actions in one particular area (like Information about projects I Own) within the 24 hours prior to the time chosen for delivery.
- The timezone for the time selected for daily digest delivery matches your timezone, as it is configured on your browser.
- The daily digest emails have the name of the section in the subject line, as well as the date on which they are delivered.
- At least one event must trigger a notification in order for the daily digest to be delivered. Daily digests are not sent if no events marked for daily digest emails are met.
The following example is the email you receive when you sign up for daily digest notifications for the Information about Projects I Own category:
Receiving Notification of Posted Comments
The notifications in the Communication category alert you to comments that have been posted in the Update stream of a specific item.
Daily digest emails for the Communication category are selected for all notifications available.
For more information about configuring email notifications, see "Configuring Email Notifications.
The information is summarized for the object where the communication happened, and a total number of communication messages is displayed for each object.
The following example is the email you receive when you sign up for daily digest notifications for the Communication category.
For more information about enabling daily digest notifications, see "Configuring Email Notifications."
Automatic Reminders are enabled by your system administrator to alert you of tasks and issues either past due and incomplete, or they are approaching a deadline. For more information about enabling automatic reminders, see "Setting up Automatic Reminders."
Automatic reminder emails are sent from the email address that your system administrator selected to handle your outgoing emails.
For more information on setting up the outgoing emails for Workfront, see "Configuring Outgoing Email."
When your system administrator enables automatic reminders, and you are either the user assigned to a task or an issue or the manager of a user who is assigned to a task or an issue, you receive an email similar to the following:
Depending which automatic reminder is activated, the following kinds of information are available in the automatic reminder email:
- The date when the task or issue was created.
- Task or issue name.
- The name of the project where the task or issue resides.
- Description of task or issue.
- A list of users assigned to the task or issue.
- The name of the user who entered the task or issue.
- The priority of the task or issue.
- Date when the task or issue became overdue.
Reminder Notifications are designed by your system administrator and can be attached to the following objects:
Reminder Notifications are custom emails that alert you of approaching deadlines for your items.
Users with a Plan license and administrative access to Reminder Notifications can also create and enable Reminder Notifications. For more information about giving a Plan user administrative access, see "Administrative Access."
For more information about setting up and enabling reminder notifications, see "Setting up Reminder Notifications."
Reminder notifications are sent from the email address that your system administrator selected to handle your outgoing emails.
For more information on setting up the outgoing emails for Workfront, see "Configuring Outgoing Email."
When your system administrator attaches reminder notifications to items, and you are one of the entities designated to receive the reminder for an issue which is about to start, you receive an email similar to the following:
There are other emails you might receive from Workfront which cannot be configured. The following emails are automatically sent by Workfront when these conditions are met:
- Restore an item: When the system administrator restores an object from the Recycle Bin, an email is sent to the system administrator.
- Failed to be restored: When the system administrator attempts to restore an object from the Recycle Bin, and the restore fails, an email is sent to the system administrator.
- Global POP email configuration problem detected: This email is generated as a result of Workfront having trouble connecting to a POP account which is configured to allow users to reply to email notifications. For more information about how you can allow users to reply to Workfront email notifications, see "Using a POP Email Account to Comment on Work Items."
If Workfront connects to the POP account and it finds 10 emails in the POP account that are not related to comments in Workfront, it stops processing the rest of the emails and sends a notification to the system administrator.
For more information about the message sent when Workfront cannot process emails from the POP account, see the "Understanding the Automatic Disconnect of the POP Account" section in "Using a POP Email Account to Comment on Work Items."
The following emails can only be configured at the user profile level. They cannot be enabled or disabled at the system level:
- Completion of personal task completion: when a personal task you assigned to someone else is completed, you will receive an email.
- Comment added to user: when someone comments on your user profile, you will receive an email.
You can receive Workfront email notifications in your mobile email app, on your mobile device.
If you have the Workfront Mobile App installed on your phone, tapping the links in the email opens them in the Workfront Mobile App. This includes tapping any of the following action buttons:
- Work On It
- Make Approval Decision
- See All Notifications
- Get Started
- See More Details
For more information about the Workfront Mobile App, see "Workfront Mobile App."
For more information about opening links from emails and other applications on your mobile phone, see the "Sharing a Workfront Link from Another App" section in "Sharing Options in the Workfront Mobile App."
There are several options inside the email notifications to opt out of email notifications or to change the type of notifications you receive.
Depending on the email you are receiving, you have the following options to change the frequency of your emails:
Change Notifications Settings: This option appears on email notifications generated instantly that do not have a daily digest option, or by daily digest email notifications. Select this to navigate to Workfront to change your notifications settings.
Add This to a Daily Digest: This option appears on email notifications generated instantly that also have a daily digest option. Select this to add this notification to the daily digest instead of receiving it instantly. The instant notification is unselected, and the same notification is selected for a daily digest delivery.
Stop Emails of This Type: This option appears on email notifications generated instantly. Select this to stop this type of emails. The instant notification, as well as the daily digest notification for this event, are unselected.
Unsubscribe: This option displays on email notifications that are generated by subscribing to items in Workfront. Click the Unsubscribe link to access the item to which you are unsubscribing. You receive a confirmation at the top of the screen that you have been unsubscribed from the item. A note is added to the update stream of the item showing that you have unsubscribed.
For more information about subscribing to items, see "Subscribing to Items."
*** This is linked elsewhere (MANY). Do not rename or change url.