All documents submitted to Workfront Proof (DOCX, PDF, XLSX, AI) go through various processing steps so that the content can display in the Workfront Proof Viewer without additional design software. For all the pages the thumbnails are created, and the pages are processed into bitmap images in three zoom level (100%, 200% and 400%). These bitmap images are then cut into smaller JPG tiles for faster web viewing. The tiles are loaded gradually, and with interlacing as the reviewers navigate through the pages.
In the Workfront Proof Viewer you can zoom in up to 400%, however, for the proofs that exceed 800mm in height or width, the maximum zoom level is 200% - the 400% zoom option is greyed out.
The images/tiles are in sRGB and for the color conversion we use the latest Adobe library. ICC profiles embedded in the documents are honored.
If the documents have any text included as a font we do extract this content from the PDF, MS Office, PSD and AI files, and it is by the file extension, so the file must have an extension when originally being uploaded to Workfront Proof. Text included as images or curves cannot be extracted.
The whole process takes a few seconds per page but it can be longer if the pages have large dimensions or the design is complex, e.g. multiple vector elements, layers, transparencies.
Note: Workfront Proof currently supports documents up to 2000 pages (this includes combined files)
- Use the latest possible version of software to produce your documents
- If you are not sure which settings to use when saving or exporting your documents in your application - use the default settings - we recommend default settings for printable materials (e.g. PDF/X-1a standard for PDF exports)
- Make sure to have all the fonts embedded inside the file. If you use custom fonts your document will be displaying ok only on the machines where such font is installed as well
- If possible, place all the text elements in the top layers of your design - this should ensure your text is extracted ok and it is selectable in the Text annotation tool
- Place all the images and elements inside your document/design - if the images are linked from the outside sources (e.g. locally on the computer) they won’t show up on other machines, and our processing tools will not be able to reach this content as well
- Make sure your design is optimized and built with the standards recommended for your type of content with this your document will be opening ok not only in Workfront Proof but also in all other applications and platforms
- In your design software try running a preflight check* to see if there are any warnings for your document
- Make sure your color settings are consistent in the whole document
- If your document is protected e.g. from copying, extraction out tool may not be able access such content and the proof creation may fail.
- As PDF files are the most standardized and reliable, we recommend converting the documents to this format before submission
*Preflight options are available on most of the applications as output preview, preflight, printing production, etc. The best place to look for those descriptions is in your software documentation.
Proof preparation times
We do support wide variety of file formats and the submissions can have various sizes, dimensions, number of pages and contents. This is why the processing times may vary for various proofs and so there is no exact value that could be called “expected proof preparation time”
Submitted files go through a few steps:
Files need to be uploaded to our servers via the New proof page or via API.
Time may depend on: file size, local connection, network traffic/bandwidth, international connections (for users outside US)
We do have multiple machines installed on our side, but with 30-40K of submissions daily the proofs may be queued. We do monitor the queues quite closely and majority of the proofs spend only a few seconds in the queue
Time may depend on: volume of simultaneous submissions, type of the queued submissions - which can prolong the processing times hence make queueing times longer
The files reach the processing machines as per the content type. We use different tools to process video proofs, web captures, static images and documents. SWF files, Rich Media containers (ZIP) and Interactive web captures submissions do not require processing.
Various files can be submitted as proofs and these proofs can be viewed and reviewed on various machines, even with no professional software (e.g Photoshop, Illustrator) installed. This is possible because we do reprocess these files into a content that can be viewed on almost any machine and device.
Time may depend on:
- video length, dimensions codecs used - for video proofs
- web page loading times and page dimensions - for web captures
- pages count, dimensions, text volume, images and objects complexity - for static documents and images