The information on this page refers to functionality not yet generally available. It is available only in the Preview Sandbox environment.
- Overview of Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled (BCWS)
- Configure How BCWS Is Calculated
- Calculate BCWS
- Locate the BCWS for a Project or a Task
Also known as the Planned Value, the Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled (BCWS) is a project performance metric that represents the amount of the task that should have completed at the time when this metric is calculated.
Workfront calculates the Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled (BCWS) for both projects and tasks.
Consider the following when reviewing the values for the BCWS on a task or project:
- Workfront calculates the BCWS for a task based on your configuration for the Performance Index Method (PIM) of the project.
You can configure your project to calculate the PIM using hours or cost and the BCWS is also calculated using the same values.
For information about configuring how the BCWS is calculated, see "Configure How BCWS Is Calculated."
- Workfront calculates the BCWS for a project by adding all the BCWS values from all the parent tasks and individual tasks on the project.
The values from children tasks are not added to the BCWS of the project.
You can configure whether the BCWS is calculated in hours or costs by configuring how the Performance Index Method (PIM) of the project is calculated.
- Go to a project and select the Project Details tab.
- Click Finance, then Edit Finance.
- In the Performance Index Method field, select from the following options:
- Hour-Based: Workfront calculates the BCWS using the Planned Hours of the tasks.
- Cost-Based: Workfront calculates the BCWS using the Planned Cost of the tasks.
- Click Save.
The BCWS of the tasks on the project is calculated using hours or costs.
Workfront calculates the Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled (BCWS) for tasks or projects by using the following formulas:
- Task BCWS = Planned Percent Complete x Task Budget
- Project BCWS = SUM(BCWS values of all parent and individual tasks)
The following values are used in this calculation:
- Planned Percent Complete: This is what the percent complete of the task should be by looking at the amount of time passed between the beginning of the task and today.
- Task Budget: This is the value for the Planned Hours or Planned Cost of the task.
For example, if it is February 12 today, and a task is scheduled to last from February 10 to February 20, the task should be 20% complete today. If the Task Budget (Planned Cost) is $10,000, then the BCWS for the task is:
Task BCWS = 20% x $10,000 = $2,000.
You can view the value of the Budgeted Cost of Work Scheduled in a report or list, by adding the BCWS column to your view.
- Go to a list of tasks or projects.
- Expand the View menu and select New View or Customize View.
- Click Add Column.
- In the Show in this column: field start typing BCWS and click to select it when it displays in the list.
- Click Save View.
The BCWS field displays in the view.