Develop a metadata strategy for Workfront Library
Ensure each piece of digital content is assigned consistent information.
To get the most of metadata in Workfront Library, your organization should develop a metadata strategy. These are the guidelines your organization uses to assign metadata and organize assets.
Structured and consistent metadata is the foundation for building a Library that is highly searchable and easily browsed.
Look at your asset workflow when developing a metadata strategy. Some examples of questions you can ask are:
- Who is responsible for adding metadata?
- Which metadata is required? Which is optional?
- Which metadata is embedded with the asset?
- Which metadata will require creation of custom fields?
- When is metadata added?
- How often will assets be checked for proper metadata?
- Who is responsible for the metadata check?
As you develop your metadata strategy, keep in mind some best practices:
- Add metadata to assets as you’re uploading them.
- Keep the list of metadata fields short and simple. Gather only the most relevant information.
- Make sure assets have ownership and/or credit information.
- Implement predefined drop-down metadata fields (multi-select or single-select) for commonly used data to prevent inconsistencies.
- Educate anyone uploading assets to Library on your organization’s metadata strategy and expectations.
- Communicate metadata requirements to external vendors.
- Conduct regular audits to ensure metadata is being added properly and consistently.
Learn more about metadata and keywords
Introduction to Workfront Library taxonomy: Metadata and keywords Metadata and keywords are key to successful searching in Workfront Library. Learn the basics of these two pieces of taxonomy.
Develop a keyword strategy for Workfront Library Develop a strategy to ensure consistent, established keywords across all of your digital content.
Overview of metadata types in Workfront Library Learn how your organization can use the four types of metadata available in Workfront Library.
Add metadata fields for Workfront Library Learn how to set up metadata fields to effectively capture key asset information for your organization.
Set up keywords in Workfront Library Configure and maintain a keyword list to reduce inconsistencies in asset data and make searching more accurate.